is a sodium
bicarbonate non-hazardous, environmentally friendly blasting media that is
used to strip graffiti off of walls; clean fragile aluminum parts such as
auto parts, or any other delicate surface where damage to underlying
structure is a concern. You can even strip paint off an aluminum paint can
at 10 psi without damage to the can!
particles are specifically manufactured to be large, jagged, and
irregular in shape for aggressiveness.
can be used for removing graffiti, blasting fragile aluminum parts,
cleaning food factory floors, etc.
is an environmentally sound method of cleaning, degreasing, and
de-painting virtually all surfaces.
With a pH of 8.4, the spent
media can be washed down the drain in many situations. The dissolved waste
medium and removed surface contaminants may require treatment before
If you do not have a Soda Blast
machine, the trick with SofStrip™ blasting is to
buy a good metering valve, which will regulate the flow of the blast media.
If you do not have such a valve, you can still try it in your equipment, but
it will likely sputter a lot.
Cleaning & De-Coating in One Step using SofStrip™ Soda
Standard abrasive blasting is a dirty process, often reloading and even
embedding the surface being cleaned with contaminants (grease, oil, tar &
abrasive particles) in the process of removing the coating. Recycled
abrasives compound this problem by loading increasing amounts of
contaminants back into the substrate. SofStrip™ blast media effectively
de-coats and cleans the substrate in one step; producing a level of surface
cleanliness not available with most processes. The blast soda is not
reusable thus eliminating the issue of blasting with re-used media. Coating
adhesion relies heavily on surface cleanliness and a surface profile (orange
peel effect) is added to the surface to offset this lack of cleanliness. No
additional profiling is necessary as soda will re-clean the original profile
and make it even cleaner than the original.
- SofStrip™ Soda’s Unique Cutting Action
- SofStrip™ blast media offers the unique properties of sodium
bicarbonate, the primary ingredient. The softness (Mohs Hardness = 2.4)
and friable nature of this crystal (breakability) produces a unique
cutting action with little or no effect on most substrates. For example,
thick coatings can be removed from glass without any etching effect.
With proper care, delicate substrates can be cleaned without damage.
- No Pre-Cleaning Required when using SofStrip™ Soda
- For projects where the coating is covered with grease, carbon, salt
or other contaminants, the more traditional blasting methods require the
coating to be fully cleaned before blasting. This is required so that
the contaminants on the surface of the coating not be driven through the
coating and into the surface of the substrate, causing future coating
- No Need To Re-Profile Steel when using SofStrip™ Soda
- Standard grades of SofStrip™ media (without any hard aggregates) do
not profile steel. SofStrip™ has a Profile grade of baking soda that
imparts a profile on steel. When an operator removes a coating from a
metal surface, he or she exposes the existing anchor pattern under the
coating. Unless corrosion has occurred, there is no reason to re-profile
- Reduced Solid Waste when using SofStrip™ Soda
- SofStrip™ blast media can be dissolved in fresh water. By dissolving
the media and filtering out the contaminants the solution can generally
be discharged to POTW treatment systems or open waterways, with proper
discharge permits. Waste volume is generally reduced to less than 5% of
the original waste volume. With increasing landfill costs and
liabilities, this advantage becomes more important every day.
- SofStrip™ Soda is a Natural Rust Inhibitor
- As long as SofStrip™ is on a ferrous metal surface, rust will not
form. For rust to form, free moisture and an acidic condition must
exist. In most cases, free moisture combines with carbon dioxide in the
atmosphere to form carbonic acid. This acid releases a free metal
(ferrous) ion which combines with oxygen (oxidizes) to form rust.
SofStrip™ buffers acids, prevents the release of free metal ions and
- Reduced Clean-Up Costs with SofStrip™ Soda
- SofStrip™ blast media performs roughly the same level of work
(although somewhat slower) as sand blasting while producing 1/5 to 1/7
of the total waste volume. Although media costs per square foot are
higher, site clean-up and residue disposal are significantly lower. The
net balance is that total cost per square foot are about the same for
- Benefits of SofStrip™ Soda In Waste Disposal
- In most non-hazardous applications, the residue from blasting with
SofStrip™ can be rinsed into sanitary drains or sewers which flush the
residue to a water treatment facility, greatly reducing the clean-up
time. Sodium bicarbonate is actually beneficial to waste water treatment
- For industrial treatment systems, where chemical neutralization is a
major cost in water treatment, SofStrip™ blast media can often save
significant dollars in waste treatment.
- Increased Worker Safety using SofStrip™ Soda
- The safety of sodium bicarbonate as related to workers health is
well understood, since it has been in use for some 160 years. The
bicarbonate buffer system is the major extracellular buffer inside the
human body, thus sodium bicarbonate is actually part of the body's
- Sodium bicarbonate and thus, SofStrip™ is not toxic via ingestion,
inhalation or dermal contact, nor is it a skin or eye irritant as
defined by EPA and OSHA. Any risk to workers is primarily the
containment of the coating removed during the blasting operation.
- SofStrip™ Soda Removes Odors
- The same odor absorbing effect seen in the refrigerator at home is
present when blasting with SofStrip™ media. It not only removes the
contaminants, it also reduces the unfriendly odors. This is particularly
effective in fire restoration projects.
- SofStrip™ Soda Does Not Produce Sparks
- Standard grades of SofStrip™ blast media (without hard aggregate)
will not produce thermal sparks and are suitable for use in explosion
proof areas; including refineries, chemical plants and grain elevators
as long as proper grounding techniques are used to prevent a static
charge build up.
- SofStrip™ Soda Improved Crack Detection
- When cleaning metal surfaces for crack detection, standard abrasive
blasting tends to peen the crack closed or pack the crack with abrasive,
making crack detection more difficult. SofStrip™ media actually cleans
out the crack, leaving it exposed and easy to see.
- No SofStrip™ Soda Residue Problems In Small Passageways
- Standard grades of SofStrip™ blast media (without hard aggregate) are
100% water soluble. They can be used to clean critical engine components
including those with small passageways. Once cleaned, the SofStrip™
residue can be thoroughly rinsed off by dissolving in water.
- Other, more traditional blast media are not water soluble and if
left after cleaning, can pack into small passageways and possibly damage
an engine while on operation.
- SofStrip™ Soda Reduces Surface Acids
- As a strong buffer for acids and alkalis, SofStrip™ eliminates acidic
conditions on the surface of the substrate. For conditions with high
acid levels, acid rain or boiler fly ash, blasting with SofStrip™ will
reduce coating failures.
Without profiling, SofStrip™ will return blasted surfaces to the original level of clean that
originally met the standards of
both NACE and SSPC.
- NACE 1 (SP-5) White Metal Blast Cleaning
- NACE 2 (SP-10) Near-White Blast Cleaning
- NACE 3 (SP-6) Commercial Blast Cleaning
- NACE 4 (SP-7) Brush-Off Blast Cleaning
- (Note: "SP-#'s are surface preparation levels, not blast particle
SofStrip™ has a hardness of 2.4 on Mohs' scale of Hardness. The softness
of this media means that it can be used to remove most coatings without
harming the substrate.
Benefits of the Soda Process:
- Environmentally Sensible
- Non-Hazardous to Workers
- Non-Toxic Media
- Water Soluble Media
- Low Blasting Pressure
- Does Not Generate Explosive Dust
- No Threat Of Silicosis
- Industrial Maintenance
- Chemical & Petro-Chemical
- Oil & Gas Production
- Pulp & Paper
- Food & Beverage Processing
- Textile Mills
- Foundries & Steel Production
- Printing Industry
- Electrical Utilities
- Commercial OEM's
- Fire Restoration
- Building Restoration